Author Topic: Forum staff  (Read 229 times)

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Forum staff
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
As we've made some changes to the forum administration and moderation structure, it may seem like we've suddenly doubled our number of administrators. This is because we have. However, not every administrator has the same authority and responsibilities. And of course there's the global moderators, too. Where do they fit in? This post will give you a brief outline of how the forum is run. Most of you will know this stuff already, but it never hurts to have this stuff written down for those who don't.

The forum administration is split in two branches: the Moderation Team and the Technical Administration team. The latter (which previously wasn't so much a team as it was a Wastrel) has recently undergone some changes: The Latinist and Belgarath have kindly offered to lend their services.

Moderation Team

Global Moderators

Responsibilities:
  • member administration
  • enforcing The Rules
  • developing forum policy;
  • ensuring a stimulating but safe environment for calm and reasonable discourse.

The mod team strives for unanimity for every big decision. If a consensus can't be reached (which happens very rarely), there's a vote. Banning a member always requires voting, the outcome of which has to be unanimous.

The mod team has one admin account (the highest clearance for using the forum software), which is currently being held by me, Louie. As senior mod, I'm the titular head of the forum administration. Because we're aiming for a more egalitarian approach, in practice this just means that I maintain contacts with the Rogues, our bosses, carry out a few extra administration tasks (like culling the list of people who've registered but never activated their accounts) and have the final responsibility for the conduct of moderators and tech admins and the running of the forums. So if you want someone to shout at, I'm the guy to see.

Local Moderators

From time to time we may appoint local moderators to help maintain particular boards. Such moderators have authority to moderate only within their own board and do not have authority to warn or ban members.  Currently the only active board with a local moderator is Forum Games.

Responsibilities:
  • organizing threads
  • pinning and unpinning topics
  • maintaining the mafia game queue.

Technical Administration Team

Technical Administrators

Responsibilities:
  • server maintenance
  • software troubleshooting
  • implementing new forum plug-ins (like Tapatalk)
  • adjusting the forum layout;
  • making sure all the technical aspects of the forums run smoothly.
The tech team doesn't make forum policy, but they advise the mod team on the technical implications of changes (like new features) and take care of the technical implementation of these changes. All of the members of the tech team have the highest forum software clearance. Wastrel is the head of the tech admins.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 07:25:54 AM by The Latinist »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Re: Forum staff
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »
**grumble** I wanted the red squares, since the grease monkeys didn't like 'em.  **grumble**

Go team!   :woop:
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline HighPockets

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
Red goes better with your eye.  ;)
There's a shrimp sale at the Crab Crib.

Offline seaotter

• Drunkenly yelling LITTLE WING!
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • My homunculus is a grammar troll!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:39:17 PM »
Don't take the red shirts whenever possible.
"There is no use trying," said Alice; "one can't believe impossible things." Lewis Carroll

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »

:o
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survied both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:11:54 AM »

:o
Right. Red shirts never come back from the landing party.  ;)
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.
- Stephen Leacock

Online DonA

• Seasoned Contributor
  • I got nuthin'
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 06:56:50 AM »
You guys all do an incredible job.

Many thanks!!
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
- Robert Pirsig

PSN - DonA1979

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:11 AM »
Hi all,

We have temporarily set up a redirect on sguforums.com. This redirect will point your browser automatically to the new location at sguforums.us.

Hopefully we will get the DNS changed soon at the registrar.  Unfortunately, none of the tech admins nor any of the mods have access to the registrar.

'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Hee hee hee, red!

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
  • Unofficial Forum Spelling Cop
    • henningko.net
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
the file http://sguforums.us/Themes/SGUcurdRC4/images/startech.gif
appears to be 404.

Typical, leaving the curdies in the dark!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
the file http://sguforums.us/Themes/SGUcurdRC4/images/startech.gif
appears to be 404.

Typical, leaving the curdies in the dark!

Fixed.

personate-rain
personate-rain