Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 9905 times)

Offline Domino

• Well Established
  • UnNatural Scientist -- BSc Hons
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Where can I get that?

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
I just downloaded the game, will try it out tomorrow. I smell the scent of addiction... :D

Sadly it seems the Mayday tileset is not Mac-friendly. Or is it?

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 08:17:16 PM »
I just downloaded the game, will try it out tomorrow. I smell the scent of addiction... :D

I'm running it on a Powerbook G4 with no problems. Got it from here:

Dwarf Fortress File Depot

Ok, one small problem, my game won't run in full screen with the Mayday set; but it's almost full screen and I'm fairly certain the problem lies with my video card. Other than that it works like a charm.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Offline JamesTate

• I'm Actually Mr. Wiggles
  • Frequent Poster
  • All things being equal
    • A Skeptics Journey
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 10:45:56 PM »
Is that ascii?
More or less.
It uses graphic tile sets, that just happen to be ASCII.

I made a bit of grumble by suggesting other character set to be used complementary to the ASCII.
"Always a plus when you aren't associated with genocide." - IrishJazz
"Doesn't this sound like a spaceship?" - Lady Cyrtpess
"A dry vagina is a sad vagina." -Pandaioum

Offline Domino

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »
Ok, one small problem, my game won't run in full screen with the Mayday set; but it's almost full screen and I'm fairly certain the problem lies with my video card. Other than that it works like a charm.

Reading over the Maydaypage that TalkingBook posted, I'm not sure it's supposed to - he mentions something about editing something or other if you want it to cover the whole screen

- That is unless you mean that it won't even try to go full screen or won't run, rather than "it goes full screen but only takes up the top half"

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 04:45:55 AM »

Will see if the fullscreen works for me...

Oh, great! I just had that impression because the original Mayday stuff I downloaded had a couple of .exe files.

The fullscreen doesn't seem to work for me either, it just crashes with a "bus error" (WTF?). Also, I have to launch it form the terminal which is a bit of a chore...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:53:32 AM by Rai »

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:09 AM »
Well to get the tileset all you really need is the .bmp file with the tileset itself (and a minor modification to init.txt), the rest of the stuff is some useful tweaks or somesuch, IIRC.

Offline TalkingBook

• Well Established
  • Superstition ain't the way...
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 10:13:49 AM »

Oh, great! I just had that impression because the original Mayday stuff I downloaded had a couple of .exe files.

The fullscreen doesn't seem to work for me either, it just crashes with a "bus error" (WTF?). Also, I have to launch it form the terminal which is a bit of a chore...

I get the same error. I think it has something to do with having an older video card. As to launching from terminal, just right click the df script, go to Get Info, open the Open With tab, select Terminal (you may have to switch from Recommended Apps to All Apps), click the Always Open With box, and you should be good to go.
"Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty (1859)

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

I get the same error. I think it has something to do with having an older video card. As to launching from terminal, just right click the df script, go to Get Info, open the Open With tab, select Terminal (you may have to switch from Recommended Apps to All Apps), click the Always Open With box, and you should be good to go.

it's a bit disheartening that even an ASCII game finds my video card lame. Macbooks are not gaming platforms but still :P

I started up my first fortress and it's far from being a metropolis. There are about 12 dwarves, a few dogs and a donkey and a highly inefficient production system. At least nothing is attacking us. I've been having trouble with the z-axis controls, tried to get make the river flow underneath the fortress but failed. I'm also yet to figure out how to make the roads go uphill.

Offline Domino

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
What's the difference between a tile set and a graphics set?

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
What's the difference between a tile set and a graphics set?

A tileset is just any tileset, which can mean ASCII with just a different font. A graphics set is a tileset containing actual graphics.

Offline Domino

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »
Tutorials I'm finding useful:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/03/10/dwarf-fortress-for-minors-newbie-tutorials/

Offline Ah.hell

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 01:07:54 PM »
I can't figure this out to save my life.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:57 PM »
I can't figure this out to save my life.

That is absolutely normal, my friend. DF is one of those oldschool games that don't give a damn about accessibility or user friendliness. As I said on the official forums, seriously, potash? I don't even know what that is. I've never seen it in real life, but DF expects me to know how it's made and what it's used for.
Fortunately there's the wiki, which has the answers to virtually any question you might have about DF: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

personate-rain