Author Topic: What Happened This Time?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline PANTS!

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Will Rage Quit for BACON!
Re: What Happened This Time?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2014, 05:27:07 AM »
That and I am not sure much of what accumulates here reaches the status of data.
This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
I only showed a small piece of the data, and CrashPlan highly compresses it's output, so total backup size (last I checked) is about 3GB
'To expect sense from two mentalities with such extreme view points is not logical' - Spock from 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield'

Offline c60Unit

• Off to a Start
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
I only showed a small piece of the data, and CrashPlan highly compresses it's output, so total backup size (last I checked) is about 3GB
So a snapshot would fit on a DVD... :D

Offline Dan I

• Brand New
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
Jeez if we can compress it down that much maybe we should just start distributing backups among users with the storage overhead. I've got 2TB of space over here.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Off to a Start
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »
What is different for the members who didn't lose their post count and those of us who did (twice)? 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2014, 12:47:46 PM »
What is different for the members who didn't lose their post count and those of us who did (twice)? 

If I understand what you're asking, the difference is in how long you have been a member.  Because we lost every registration and post since 28 Aug. 2012, counts were reset to what they were on that date.  Anyone who registered after that date had to recreate their account and start again from a post count of zero.  Others who had been members longer lost perhaps thousands of posts but still retained those posts they had made before that date.

I myself lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000 posts in the two resets.

Offline xenu

• Well Established
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010 Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Jeez if we can compress it down that much maybe we should just start distributing backups among users with the storage overhead. I've got 2TB of space over here.

That's not a bad idea. We could back up once a month. Have 12 people and that would just be once a year and hold it a year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »
I intend to start keeping a backup the first of every month and keeping it for at least one month.

Offline Skulker

• Mafia Pimp
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • I survied both forum crashes of 2014!
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I intend to start keeping a backup the first of every month and keeping it for at least one month.
I have access to vast amounts of storage so if you need another off site archive facility, I'd be happy to help.
Advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human intelligence long enough to get money from it.
- Stephen Leacock

Online Harry Black

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
Hopefully its just my device but the site is sporadically failing to load today. Not having this issue with other sites.
I'll get a screenshot next time if that would help?

Offline 2397

• Brand New
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »
Shame about the per episode resources and similar content that is lost when this happens. But I wouldn't actually mind if some websites regularly self-destructed and erased all data. A lot of it doesn't need to stay up forever.

Offline Evil Eye

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • THINK!
    • http://www.evileyemonster.com
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
And people ask why notebooks, and photographs are still necessary.  :-\
"We'll get that information to you later" - Richard Feynman to Mr. Rodgers.