Author Topic: Guitarists You've Probably Never Heard, But Wish You Had Before  (Read 2879 times)

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
Re: Guitarists You've Probably Never Heard, But Wish You Had Before
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 07:47:27 PM »
As for guitar instructors on YouTube whom I wish I'd known about before, Justin Sandercoe does short lessons here and teaches popular songs here; Dave Weiner, who's in Steve Vai's band, is here; and Andrew Wasson, who's much more theory orientated than the other two, is here.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 08:11:02 PM by Jack »

Offline DeanMorrison

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • Music by Dean Morrison
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Some good ones to check out:

Eric Johnson
Steffen Schackinger
Andy McKee
Don Ross
(good call on Shawn Lane, was gonna mention him)
Andy Timmons
Allen Hinds

and just for good measure...
ME!  :) facebook.com/deanmorrisonmusic

Offline RyanSchwieger

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
I always wonder how good of a guitarist my friend is. I've never played the guitar so I don't really have a frame of reference to judge that sort of thing. All I know is that I've had a LOT of fun over the years writing lyrics for songs and having him make guitar parts for them. Most of them were comedic in nature, like the song "I smoke chickens like I smoke other birds" and "Don't worry, his death was cupcake related," and my favorite..."Inappropriate Kiss-cam operator."

Anyway, take a gander at his channel. You all seem to know your stuff, so it would be interesting to hear informed opinions on his playing.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DanMummSolo
I like to tread a fine line between funny and inappropriate and than realize that I'm not walking on the line i thought i was.

"Anything that tastes good is probably bad for you thanks to evolution being a dick." Johnny Slick

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
  • If God is anything, he's an underachiever.
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
I always wonder how good of a guitarist my friend is. I've never played the guitar so I don't really have a frame of reference to judge that sort of thing. All I know is that I've had a LOT of fun over the years writing lyrics for songs and having him make guitar parts for them. Most of them were comedic in nature, like the song "I smoke chickens like I smoke other birds" and "Don't worry, his death was cupcake related," and my favorite..."Inappropriate Kiss-cam operator."

Anyway, take a gander at his channel. You all seem to know your stuff, so it would be interesting to hear informed opinions on his playing.

Yeah, he is a great guitarist!

...and has an EPIC guitar in that parker... Owned one once, loved it..

Offline GodSlayer

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
One guitarist that can rival anyone I've heard in terms of attitude, virtuosity, etc, is Guthrie Govan. He plays some amazing music..

aaah, thought that name rang a bell.

heard Kalevala's guitarist do one of his:
Nikita Andriyanov - - mutation blues (Guthrie Govan cover )
Quote from: Dale Carnegie
When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.

Offline Jack

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
"Yardbird Suite" written by Charlie Parker and arranged/performed by Mike Oria

Offline GodSlayer

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:51 PM »
these aren't "guitarist" tracks, but they are solos...

I'm more a fan of melody and tone and mood than speed and technicality (when tremelo gets to bluegrass levels you just lose all the beauty of the instrument). For me, it's all about how good the music is, not how good the musician is.

Vehemence - I Didn't Kill Her

around 0:27 this one has a nice balance of technicality and musicality.
HammerFall's "Something for the Ages"

one of my favorites to this day, as a composition as much a 'guitar solo', is Centinex's "A War Symphony"

but my #1 (in purely aesthetic terms) after all these years is still In Flames' "Only for the Weak"
Quote from: Dale Carnegie
When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion.

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 11:25:52 PM »
Raul Midón - State of Mind [Live On Late Show With Dave Lett

Offline RyanSchwieger

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 11:49:53 PM »

Yeah, he is a great guitarist!

...and has an EPIC guitar in that parker... Owned one once, loved it..

Oh cool! My favorites of his are Electric Hurricane and his Castlevania 2 video. =) It always amazes me how much he still practices. I always kinda figured that once you got to a certain level of skill things just sorta weren't as difficult anymore, but he works hours and hours every day on improving. I suppose it's not much different than wanting to be great at anything in life, but I never really realized how much work it took and that even people who are really insanely skilled still have to practice daily.

Makes me feel inadequate about not writing more. Question: Is practicing an instrument emotionally draining? I know that I can't write for more than a couple of hours at a time I get mentally and emotionally exhausted after a day's work. Is it much the same in music, or is the creative process a little less intense than that?
I like to tread a fine line between funny and inappropriate and than realize that I'm not walking on the line i thought i was.

"Anything that tastes good is probably bad for you thanks to evolution being a dick." Johnny Slick

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 12:08:11 AM »
Oh cool! My favorites of his are Electric Hurricane and his Castlevania 2 video. =) It always amazes me how much he still practices. I always kinda figured that once you got to a certain level of skill things just sorta weren't as difficult anymore, but he works hours and hours every day on improving. I suppose it's not much different than wanting to be great at anything in life, but I never really realized how much work it took and that even people who are really insanely skilled still have to practice daily.

I think it can be compared to anything in science... Learning how to play your first chords and the notes on the neck is like learning the fundamental equations in physics... Sort of tough because the whole idea is new to you, almost like a foreign language... Once you get to a certain point and you are playing the more intense stuff, like progressive rock, you are getting into some pretty intense calculus... It's more of the same, so to speak, but at a completely different level... Then when you get into jazz and fusion guitar, it's like quantum mechanics... Shit just sorta stops making sense, but you can make it work....  ;D

Question: Is practicing an instrument emotionally draining? I know that I can't write for more than a couple of hours at a time I get mentally and emotionally exhausted after a day's work. Is it much the same in music, or is the creative process a little less intense than that?

Practicing an instrument like guitar can be extremely emotionally AND physically draining... Back when I first was really getting into it, I was playing 5+ hours a day, most of which was to a metronome practicing scales and different techniques... None of it is really musical or sounds great, but it's all foundational...It takes a LONG time to NOT sound like a completely annoying and clueless moron.... All through the memorization of notes and patterns, your back hurts cause you are hunched over, your wrist is killing you from being bent out of shape, and your finger tips are bleeding until you can get calluses... Every now and then you hit a wall where you try and try and try and just can't make any measurable progress, and many people give up....

It's not like writing music in that it's not really quite as subjective in terms of the "progress" you make... Either you can play the b major scale in triplets at 100 bpm or you can't... Either you can play all of the sweet child of mine's intro riff, or you cant....

Learning to play guitar and write music in my opinion is a lot different than writing lyrics... There are really set rules by which you should follow if you want to sound "good", at least in pop, rock, blues, and other popular genres... You are limited in terms of what notes you can play in given keys, what chords you can play in progressions, the limits of the instrument itself.... I'd go so far as to say that writing actual 'good' guitar music takes far less creativity than does writing 'good' lyrics... Most of the time, at least....

At least all that was my experience...

Watch this starting at 3:00.... This is the type of shit I did for hours a day trying to become a guitar god....

Guitar Lesson - John Petrucci - Rock Discipline (Part2)

Offline Bigpoppamikey

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »
Circa Survive - Living Together

Love Circa Survive

Offline MikeNH

• Negative Vibe Agent
  • Well Established
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 11:34:08 AM »
Thomas Blug - I'll Be There

Offline superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:48 AM »
Kiko Loureiro Enfermo

and for variety, same guy
Kiko Loureiro - Choro de Criança
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:46:17 AM by superdave »
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline ♫♪ FX ♪♫

• Earnest Young Man
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Plutonium is your friend!
    • Is it working?
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »
Awesome thread is awesome.
It is difficult to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place. - H.L. Mencken

“That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons history has to teach.” - Aldous Huxley

personate-rain