Author Topic: Dr. Novella on Dr. Oz 4/26  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Chew

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Juror #8
Re: Dr. Novella on Dr. Oz 4/26
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »
We heard the news. Have you seen the full show yet? Everybody is curious how much it was edited to make you look like Hitler.
"3 out of 2 Americans do not understand statistics." -Mark Crislip

Offline Miisanthrope

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Always the control group
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Everybody is curious how much it was edited to make you look like Hitler.

+1 Hitler
It's bad luck to be superstitious. ~ Anon ~

Forget Jesus. STARS died so that you could be here today. ~ Lawrence Krauss ~

Offline ktb973

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »
Hopefully Steve made a deal for Oz to come on The Skeptics Guide in return.  Steve, is this your first time in front of a studio audience like that?

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Frequent Poster
  • Unofficial Forum Spelling Cop
    • henningko.net
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »
Steve, if you didn't find it, we're already talking about it here: http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,35140.0.html
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Offline harrycanyon

• Brand New
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:32:12 AM »
Entering the Emerald City, huh?   :D Perhaps you can reveal the man behind the curtain. (Although in his territory that will be challenging.)

Hope you kicked some butt!

Take care,

Derek

Offline stormboy

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:24 AM »
just watched it.  dr. novella of course spoke calmly and rationally.  at least at first blush, there didn't seem to be any sideways editing to make it appear that he was saying things that he wasn't actually saying.  i thought steve actually got a lot more time than the alt-med doctor next to him -- oz seemed more interested in debating with steve than he did in getting positive reinforcement from the other doctor, which i thought was interesting.

i haven't really followed oz that much, and this is (i think) the first time that i've ever actually watched anything of his.  maybe people who have watched more of him will set me straight, but to me he seems like a true believer rather than an outright deliberate deceiver. 

i would actually be interested to hear a long-form interview/debate between dr. novella and dr. oz.  the most frustrating thing about the show was the many times that steve wanted to respond to something oz said (or at least he seemed to want to) but then they moved on to the next topic.  like i said, having not followed oz at all, i was impressed that he allowed steve to finish his thoughts and kept things pretty calm -- i was half expecting a fox-news-y, high-pitched, hysterical debate, but it didn't come off that way to me.

i'd guess that regular viewers of oz's show will dismiss steve as one of "them," but i thought he articulated himself well, and, at least in my opinion, they didn't edit him to make him look bad or stupid or violent.  it'll be interesting to hear what steve has to say about the interview after the fact.

edit: didn't see there was already a topic on it until after i posted.  wondered why there weren't more responses here.   ;)

Offline Gusshanks

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
Saw some of the segment on TV and then watched it again on YouTube.  Thought Dr. Novella looked nervous, but he did well.  I thought they really should have done a whole show on the topic to really get into things, but I suspect that wouldn't have done well for the audience that normally watches Dr. Oz.

I never realized how much Dr. Oz was into alternative medical practices.  Was he always that way?  I don't generally watch him at all, but when I did catch him on occasion, from what I can recall, was always talking about more scientific things.  Or at least things that were able to be tested.  Like saying certain foods were really good as remidies as they were particularly high in whatever neutrient or medicinal element that was needed.  Now maybe some of that was BS as well, but at least that was much easier to test and validate.

Offline catwalker

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Am I the only one who heard Dr. Oz say that people using alternative therapies "benefits me." ?  (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/alternative-medicine-controversy-pt-1, at about 4:22).   Freudian slip?   Or just being up front with the viewers about the value of his endorsements?

Offline rlquinn1980

• Off to a Start
  • Member of Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:09:08 AM »
Am I the only one who heard Dr. Oz say that people using alternative therapies "benefits me." ?  (http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/alternative-medicine-controversy-pt-1, at about 4:22).   Freudian slip?   Or just being up front with the viewers about the value of his endorsements?

(sorry for late reply)

He switches back and forth (to the death of proper grammar) between his audience and himself in attempts to identify himself with them. I think, more than a Freudian slip, that's what he did here.

And I gotta say, I don't just talk about these things on the show. I use them in my practice. I use them at home. You know, massage therapy, guided imagery. I think it gives folks, my patients, me, a customized tool that I can use that benefits me.
Raw transcript: http://skepticarebear.wordpress.com/2011/04/28/transcript-novella-on-dr-oz-show/