Author Topic: Good Movie Villain Plans.  (Read 222 times)

Harry Black, Chandler and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
Good Movie Villain Plans.
« on: August 23, 2012, 04:24:43 PM »
What villainous schemes from the movies were the best?  Most clever, might actually work in the real world?

The plan from The Mask of Zorro was great: very simple, and clever to me.  Buy land with Gold that has been discovered on the land of the person you are buying it from who does not know it is there.  Nice. 

People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Online amysrevenge

• Frequent Poster
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Good Movie Villain Plans.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
What villainous schemes from the movies were the best?  Most clever, might actually work in the real world?

The plan from The Mask of Zorro was great: very simple, and clever to me.  Buy land with Gold that has been discovered on the land of the person you are buying it from who does not know it is there.  Nice.

Frankly, a lot of Scooby-Doo plans weren't that bad at the core - come up with some scheme to lower the value of a property that you know has hidden worth, buy it for cheap, then rake in the profit.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
Pretty much all the Die Hard movies had good evil plans, but I especially liked the third.

Where Eagles Dare has wonderfully twisted plan in it, though it's carried out by the goodies rather than the baddies. First you orchestrate the crash of a plane with a fake general on board so that he gets captured by the Germans to give you an excuse to send a group of commandos to rescue him. Then the team lets itself be captured as well, prompting the three German moles deliberately placed on it to reveal themselves. The leader of the commando team then claims to be a German agent as well, as evidenced by a high ranking German officer vouching for him and by the fact that he knows the name of the top German agent in Britain. He claims the three moles had been discovered by the Brits (true) and replaced (false). To prove their identity, the three moles write down the names and addresses of all the German agents in Britain that they helped recruit into three notebooks. The commando leader, in fact a triple agent working for the British and feeding false or outdated information to the Germans, then seizes the notebooks, the actual objective of the entire operation, and makes a daring escape.  While on the plane home he confronts his commanding officer, who selected him to lead the rescue team in the first place. The British had suspected him for some time, they asked him to choose a leader for the rescue team and he chose the triple agent because he believed him to be a German double agent, a seemingly perfect choice. The leader of the rescue team presented his name as the top German agent in Britain as evidence of his identity and its acceptance was proof that the suspicion had been correct. Now wasn't that just deliciously convoluted?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:12:01 PM by Sordid »

Offline Drewish

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
Quantum of Solace is based on a true story in the sense of using a manchurian candidate to allow for a monopoly grab of the country's water supplies.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline David E.

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Contentedly Misanthropic.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
I knew Die Hard would get mentioned within 5 posts.   >:D
People are so used to criticizing religion in whispers, that a normal voice, sounds like a shout.

Offline D'oh!

• Frequent Poster
  • Pope of Chili Town
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:19:26 AM »
The Death Star should have been used just a tad more wisely:

How Star Wars Episode IV Should Have Ended
"The power of Christ compels you!"

Offline FalseProphet

• Off to a Start
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »
All of the Icarus stories (like the ones Martin Scorsese does so well with mobsters) are convincing to me.

Offline lofgren

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:26:48 PM »
I like the evil plot from the first Superman movie. I have no idea how feasible it actually is but I would guess not very. But as a storytelling device I feel that it really shows Lex Luthor's character.

The plot was to buy up worthless land in Las Vegas and then use missiles to set off an earthquake that would sink California, turning that worthless land into beachfront property.

He is going to kill literally millions of people in order to flip a few houses. That's fucking evil.

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
I like the evil plot from the first Superman movie. I have no idea how feasible it actually is but I would guess not very. But as a storytelling device I feel that it really shows Lex Luthor's character.

The plot was to buy up worthless land in Las Vegas and then use missiles to set off an earthquake that would sink California, turning that worthless land into beachfront property.

He is going to kill literally millions of people in order to flip a few houses. That's fucking evil.

It's one of the big reasons why that is my favorite movie.  The plan is completely insane and yet makes sense if you are a complete psychopath.
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

Offline Desert Fox

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 04:53:05 PM »
How about the plan of Sebastian Shaw in X-Men: First Class to get WW3 started. Ratchet the tensions just right and seems plausable especially in the height of the Cold War.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline brilligtove

• Off to a Start
  • Evidence trumps experience.
    • Valuum
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
Bound was one of my favorites. I haven't seen it in many years, so I don't know how it holds up, but at the time I was amazed at how intelligent and clever everyone's plans were. If I recall, there was no one plot element that undid everything for the bad guy. Also, everyone was a bad guy to one degree or another. Also, it was damn sexy.

Offline estockly

• Off to a Start
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
How about "The Producers" (The original version). Raise money to produce a play by promising numerous investors a big share of the profits (totaling well over %100) then produce a play ("Springtime for Hitler") that's sure to be a flop, showing no profit, but pay yourself and friends a handsome salary.

Or "Kelly's Heroes," recruit a small army from allied forces in WWII to rob a bank behind enemy lines of Nazi gold.

Or "Poltergeist", move a cemetery to build a new housing development, but just move the headstones and leave the bodies.

"Dirty Harry," where the villain paid someone to beat him up, so he could accuse Inspector Callahan of assaulting him.

"Blazing Saddles," drive people to leave a town (where real-estate values will soon be going up) by appointing a black sherif and sending outlaws wreak havoc.

Although the first two were the heroes' plans, not the villains.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:22:16 PM by estockly »

Online Harry Black

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:03:14 AM »
The Die Hard plots were terrible when you stop to think about it-
Die Hard- Cover the lesser crime of theft with the larger crime of being terrorists? What? Just go in and steal the shit Hans. Oh look, heres the FBI as opposed to just local cops.
Die Hard 2- The whole plan would have collapsed by itself without Mcclane there, much has been written about how he isnt necessary to the plot.
Die Hard with a Vengence- Goals- vengence and theft. Methods? Totally convoluted interlinked plans that actually get in each others way.
Still the best movies ever though!!
The bad guys in Avatar had a pretty good plan. Roll over the planet and steal all their shit so humanity doesnt die.
Good going Judas Jake Sully.

Offline Sordid

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Utterly inexcusable!
« Reply #13 on: Today at 07:16:52 AM »
Hans needed the FBI. The local cops wouldn't cut the power and thereby disable the final lock for him.

Online superdave

• Frequent Poster
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #14 on: Today at 08:37:32 AM »
I thought that first villain of the legend of Korra had some decent points.  In a society where some people are effectively magic wielding superhumans, it is reasonable that there would be civil unrest and discrimination.  I would have liked them to explore this more. 
"The truth of all predictions is always in your hands" -Iron Maiden, Die With Your Boots On.

personate-rain