Poll

Do you think that a Libertarianism ghetto (a la AGW) would clean up the politics section?

Yes, please.
Yes, but unneccessary.
No, never.
No, not yet.
Other: please explain

Author Topic: Is it maybe time to make a Libertarianism ghetto?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline MisterMarc

• Too Much Spare Time
  • The universe seems ...merely indifferent.
    • Schlock Treatment
Re: Is it maybe time to make a Libertarianism ghetto?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »
Anyway, to add a bit more, couldn't the normal readers of those threads just point out that libertarianism has nothing to do with the topic at hand and try to bring the thread back to the topic?

Eminently reasonable. If someone is taking your thread off topic, feel free to politely remind them about the thread topic, and tell them they can take their OT discussion to a new thread. If they don't comply, notify a mod and they should be willing to evaluate it and move the OT posts, if necessary.

Creating a "ghetto" for all libertarian talk just seems so....authoritarian. ;)

Offline Drewish

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Am I freaking you out yet?
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
When making a decision, please ignore a certain person who hates libertarians and is now trying to bring up libertarianism in as many threads as possible to push for this.

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,35641.msg973385.html#msg973385

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,35458.msg973160.html#msg973160

http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,35608.msg973477.html#msg973477

Really, this is just low.
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Offline jaypee

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Astronaut Mike Dexter
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Yeah... it's seriously obnoxious.
"If I were an Algebra teacher I'd give everyone a letter grade but they'd have to figure out the value of the letter" -- A friend of mine

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »
Yeah... it's seriously obnoxious.

+2, though I don't think for a second the mods are fooled by it.

Offline Beleth

• Doing his part to provide an intellectually challenging environment for rational, polite discussion.
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
It is indeed low, and we are indeed not fooled by it.

Nor are we amused.

I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »
It is, um, not being done so much as an attempt to create a Libertarian ghetto and more for the, um, lulz. Lack of amusement noted!
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2011, 05:44:21 PM »
Having thought about the answers that a lot of people posted, I'm going to agree that creating a ghetto for Libertarianism/Free-Market Woo specifically is the equivalent of the mods stifling political dissent.

I'm changing my vote to other.

I do think that there needs to be some sort of solution - a simple thread about a woman masturbating at work devolved for several posts yesterday into a Libertarian slap-fest and never quite recovered.  This seems to be a daily occurrence now, Johnny Slick's antics notwithstanding.

I think we can all agree that anti-statist free-market ideology and Rand worship aren't the answer to every problem, and aren't pertinent to every discussion.  How do we shut down the Libertarian thread-derailment menace without shutting down the voice of Libertarian dissent here at the SGUF politics section?

Offline Drewish

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
That was a thread in explicit.  I'm sorry we derailed jokes about wanted to bend the woman over a table to discuss the issue of the ruling instead.   ::)
WATCH OUT!

That picture of a kitten I posted is an underhanded emotional non-argument meant to turn you into a libertarian!

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Evilution's Worst Nightmare
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
I vote for shutting down all dissent, libertarian or otherwise! But especially libertarian!
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone." - Oscar Wilde

Quote from: Schlock Treatment, Episode 73
There is only one Johnny Slick, and he is a son of a [redacted].

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Slightly related, what has been irking me recently is how every discussion seems to end up being Fox News vs. MSNBC (or Jon Stewart, apparently). I don't mind Libertarians bringing up what they would think about a certain topic, and if we had a resident Marxist I wouldn't mind it either. But I don't think we'll agree on whether Fox News is as partisan as the rest, and it certainly has the effect of reducing my likelihood to post.
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
I don't know that there's an easy solution, and I'm pretty sure this isn't it, but I have to say that thread-killing libertarian tangents are a real problem...not because I disagree with them, but because they actually stifle interesting debate about real-world issues.  I don't know how many times I've returned to a thread I was following to find that it has devolved into statist v. non-statist bickering.

I wonder if the answer might be a little vigilance by posters combined with a little extra moderation.  If other posters were consistent in calling out OT posts and then reported those who continued to derail threads.  Moderators could then warn consistent offenders.

Offline Drewish

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I have to say that this thread is the first time I've heard a complain regarding this in a year.  So if I (speaking personally) am doing this, you could try just saying something to me.
WATCH OUT!

Offline Bunsen

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Big Pharma wants you to think cooked milk is safe!
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »
I have to say that this thread is the first time I've heard a complain regarding this in a year.  So if I (speaking personally) am doing this, you could try just saying something to me.

See?  That's the other problem.  The perpetrators seem to be (understandably) ignorant of the fact that they're derailing, and everybody else is so tired of the derailment that they lack the strength to even fight any more.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'm a perfectly normal shrine maiden.
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »

Honestly, I don't even think you're the main offender here.

Offline DRmeg378

• Extremely Good Sport
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mainah's
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:24 PM »
Bunsen, could you point to examples? I don't think I really know what you're talking about.
"I try not to think with my gut. If I'm serious about understanding the world, thinking with anything besides my brain, as tempting as that may be, is likely to get me into trouble. Really, it's okay to reserve judgment until the evidence is in." - Carl Sagan

personate-rain