Author Topic: AQB Mosaics  (Read 2316 times)

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
AQB Mosaics
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
Yes!  I've been blathering on for a couple of weeks about getting ready for a solo exhibition of mosaics, and promising photos.  Here we go, yo.  I've been doing mosaic stuffs for about five years now; I do eight to 12 craft shows a year, and this is my second solo show at a wonderful local coffeehouse/used bookstore that regularly features area artists.  (November is a big shopping month, so I'm hoping to score.)  The exhibition is called Tiled Upcycled 2011.

For some background, some time ago I had occasion to write an artist's statement.  I tried to avoid the wifty-woo-woo artspeak as much as possible.

I create mosaic giftware and home accessories: clocks, lamps, photo frames, boxes, bookends, etc.

I’ve always appreciated designer William Morris’s advice to “have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”  I try to meet both of Mr. Morris’s criteria with my work:  everything I make is at least nominally functional; nothing is purely decorative.

I’ve also always enjoyed shopping at secondhand stores and flea markets for interesting pieces that can be refurbished and given a second life.  My mosaic craft gives me a wonderful excuse to “go thrifting” in search of my next project.

In addition to being reimagined, every object is repainted, refinished, repaired, or rebuilt as needed.  I use stained glass; vitreous glass tile; natural materials such as shells, wood, and semi-precious stones; ceramic tiles; and found objects.  I am exploring pique assiette and custom-made polymer clay tile. 

Sourcing my “raw materials” from the secondary market means that my product line is unpredictable and that my pieces are typically unique.  If you see something you like, buy it!  I may never have another one. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:00:03 PM by AQB24712 »
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: AQB Mosaics
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
This is the Gallery in Room "C" at The Quadrant Book Mart & Coffeehouse in Easton, Pennsylvania.

I set up a little mosaic end table with the two chairs that were hanging out in the room.

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
A slightly closer look at some stuffs.

Frames (with Sgt. Max Greevey), purple lamp, signage.

Clocks and price list.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
This might be my favorite piece in the show.  It's a box that apparently held a gift set of sommelier tools, judging from the foam liner that I removed.  It has one drawer and a lift-off lid, into which I cut a hole to insert a clock fitting that was left over from an abandoned project.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
No, wait, this might be my favorite piece.  It's a shelf unit with a clock on top.  Or a clock with a shelf unit.

A closer look at the face.  Man, I took "before" pictures of these things, but now I can't find them.  Argh.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:13 PM »
Okay, I really like this jewelry chest too.  There's a lot going on here.  There are three drawers behind the top door.  Behind the lower door are ring slots and necklace hooks.  And the bottom drawer is musical.

This is another wild jewelry chest.  A customer who saw my Tiled Upcycled 2010 show came back to the Quadrant and gave it to Jo (the proprietor) to see what I could do with it.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:03:16 PM by AQB24712 »

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
Something a little different.

A clock that I think belongs in a country cabin somewhere.

A skinny chest of little drawers and an etagère, which is French for, uh, shelf thing.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
The gallery is also the paperback room, complete with blood, guts, and gore.

Here's a fancy-shmancy chalkboard.

This is a tabletop-sized cabinet, with shelves behind the door, and a clock. 

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
This clock is also a box/cabinet ; the face is set into the door.

Another box, with a constellation of sorts on the lid.

Color wheel clock!

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
My friend Polly, a costume designer, gave me a bucket o'buttons.  I ground off their shafts (not a euphemism) to make them into usable flat-backed tesserae.

How about a sparkly-lidded candy jar for your treats?

Here's a look at the top of the table seen in an earlier photo.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »
I make lots of magnets from milk-jug lids.

And sometimes larger ones with lids from jars.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
This frame uses a variety of mirrored, iridescent, and Van Gogh tiles.  I don't know why they're called that; their color and texture comes from a crinkled foil applied to the back of the glass for a beautiful effect.

Purple lamp, or potential murder weapon.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:40 PM »
If you're anywhere near eastern Pennsylvania (I-78, right on the Delaware River across from New Jersey) and want to stop by, here's more information about the coffee shop/bookstore.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/QuadrantBookMartCoffeeHouse

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
I love the clocks.

Theyre the sort of thing Id see and go "Ooh! Cool!" and buy them on their looks, and then take them home and realise they dont match anything else I own :P
"Bombarded by health-giving electric atoms!"

Offline Druncan Idaho

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
Awesome stuff!! :)

My fav is the blue clock next to the price list.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

personate-rain